“Love one another as I have loved you” (John 15:12)
As Christ demonstrated his love for us through the gospel, so we are also called to love one another. Relationship with the Father and relationship with each other is foundational to a strong and loving community. One of the greatest expressions of love to one another is to carry each other’s burdens, and we do this through care.
“Bear one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ” (Galatians 6:2)
Every day, we see people who are hurting – those who have lost jobs, lost a loved one, gone through a divorce, or are battling a terminal illness. Stephen Ministers act as God’s representatives, bringing His love to those who are hurting.
What Is a Stephen Minister?
- A friend of God who walks beside a hurting person.
- A caring Christian friend who really listens.
- A layperson who has received 50 hours of training in how to provide distinctively Christian care and participates in bimonthly supervision.
Stephen Ministry helps meet the needs of those who are:
- Separated or divorced
- Chronically or terminally ill
- Struggling with substance abuse
- In a job crisis
- In a spiritual crisis
If you are interested in receiving care, please call the Stephen Ministry voicemail at 919.862.8521 (select option 1) or email email@example.com for a confidential response.
How do you ask for a Stephen Minister?
- A person – either you, a relative or a friend – is in need of Christian care.
- The Stephen Ministry Coordinator learns about this need for care – from a pastor, the person or a friend; always with the person’s permission.
- A Referrals Coordinator talks with the person about Stephen Ministry.
- With the person’s permission, the Referrals Coordinator assigns a Stephen Minister to meet with the care recipient on a weekly basis.
- The Stephen Minister continues to provide distinctively Christian care for the person with strict confidentiality.
How can I become a Stephen Minister?
If you are interested in training to become a Stephen Minister, please contact Bill Rieth at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919.608.1586.